Local government in Scotland: Challenges and performance 2018
Our report on Local government in Scotland: Challenges and performance 2018 was published in April 2018. The Tableau visualisation below looks at spending and performance by individual councils, and public satisfaction with services.
About the data
The Improvement Service, in partnership with councils, collates and reports on the Local Government Benchmarking Framework (LGBF) to provide comparative performance information for councils to help them improve. The framework includes over 70 performance indicators. While these are not designed to comprehensively cover performance across all council activities, they are spread over a broad range of service areas. There are some things to note:
- All figures relating to spending are in real terms with a base year of 2016/17.
- The year shown is the end of the financial year, for example 2016/17 data is shown as 2017.
We also use data from the Scottish index of multiple deprivation.
How to use our graphics
All the graphics are interactive:
- You can select the council you are interested in using either the map or the drop down filter menu.
- To clear selections, click on any white space in the graph you used as a filter.
- Hovering over the graph or map will show further information about the data.
- To access the data behind the graphics, click on the graph you're interested in, then click 'Download' at the bottom of the graphics and select the format.