NHS in Scotland 2019
Our report on NHS in Scotland 2019 was published in October 2019. The Tableau visualisation below illustrates national performance, sickness and turnover rates, prescription volume and health board expenditure per head.
About the data
Expenditure per head
- Expenditure data is the total core revenue spend as at 2018/19 financial year end and was taken from the NHS board 2018/19 accounts
- Percentage change calculated using total core revenue spend for the 2014/15 financial year taken from the NHS board 2014/15 accounts, adjusted to real terms using HM Treasury GDP deflators for June 2019
- Population data, used to calculate spend per 1,000 population from the National Records of Scotland Mid-2018 population estimates published April 2019.
Agency and prescribing
- Total agency spend taken from NHS board 2018/19 accounts.
- Agency spend for previous years from 2014/15 to 2017/18 adjusted to real terms using HM Treasury GDP deflators for June 2019
- Drug volume data taken from ISD as at July 2019, and only includes drugs prescribed in the community and not in hospitals.
- Data from:
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services: waiting times, workforce and service demand, ISD Scotland, June 2019;
- National drug and alcohol treatment waiting times, ISD Scotland, June 2019; 18 weeks referral to treatment: ISD Scotland, May 2019;
- New outpatient appointment: waiting times for patients waiting at month end, census date at 31 March 2019, ISD Scotland, May 2019;
- Inpatient or day case admission: waiting times for patients seen, ISD Scotland, May 2019; Accident and emergency: attendances and time in department, ISD Scotland, June 2019;
- Performance against the 62-day standard from receipt of an urgent referral with suspicion of cancer to first treatment by NHS board, ISD Scotland, June 2019;
- Performance against the 31-day standard from date decision to treat to first cancer treatment by NHS board, ISD Scotland, June 2019
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) data is combined for the island boards
- NHS Scotland workforce, ISD Scotland, June 2019.
How to use our graphics
All the graphics are interactive and may be best viewed by clicking on the full screen icon at the bottom right of the exhibit:
- Hovering over the map and graphs will give you more detailed information.
- To clear selections, click on any white space in the graph you used as a filter.
- To access the data behind the graphics, click on the graph you're interested in, then click 'Download' at the bottom of the graphics and select the format.